Back in a design class. The first week in-class assignment was to take a look at the US currency (coins and notes) and think of ways it could be redesigned. Being a foreigner in US, my immediate inspiration was how it is dome back where I come from.
This project was a small experiment to create a small game out of basic analog inputs and LEDs. Here 10 inputs from the was used to control the lighting of the board. On top of that, persistence of vision was used so that if we flicker a series of LEDs continuously at a high frequency, then it would seem like they are lighting up at once. This helped create all the necessary patters while playing the game.
A simulation of Game of Life by John Conway with a twist – you can decide on the input as you go. This simulation is a basic population exercise where the life of a cell depends on its neighbors.
This was inspired by 2 things. One being the original Game of Life. The other was that I wanted to be able to simulate pseudo population scenarios. The algorithms which decide the growth and death of these cells follow a pattern of death by overpopulation or under population and growth due to dependent population. I felt that this closely depicted real life scenarios and was a good way to simulate what an ideal population distribution would look like. So I added the feature that one can decide what the initial population setup should look like.
The simulation can be run here
Code can be found here
Thanks to http://www.bitstorm.org/gameoflife/
Tools used : p5, Inkscape
A project looking at bringing together math and design together. This is done using fractals and Brownian motion as the elements of design.
This project was initially inspired by my friend who works immensely with textiles and was looking into having new patterns for her fabric. This along with my love for math and art – I started working on this tool. I wanted to be able to not only make a tool that made it easy to design patterns but also promoted the idea that Math is beautiful. Thus all the patterns in this are derived through particular equations.
The tool can be found here
Code can be found here
Alzheimer’s disease (AD) is an irreversible and progressive brain disease that gradually destroys memory and thinking skills to an extent that it starts affecting the daily life. It has become the most common cause of dementia among older people. This project looks at utility of image processing on the Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scans to estimate the possibility of an early detection of AD.
The paper published on this can be found here.
Here we built a tool to look at two main indicators
Here we looked at the total brain volume and the percentage of grey and white matter in it. This percentage helped us determine the possibility of AD.
A theremin made out of brass plates using their capacitive nature to detect change in voltage due to human touch.
This project was inspired mainly by my curiosity surrounding capacitive touch. It takes into consideration the capacity of the human touch to cause a voltage change.
While initially working on capacitive sensing, I came across theremin and worked on a smaller version before delving into the current model.
Below are videos of the prototype and the final model.
Lego Stop Motion
In collaboration with Aaron Parsekian and Katie Temrowski
Tools used: Dragon Frame, Adobe Premiere
A stop motion animation with a Lego man as the main character. The story of this animation revolves around documenting a physical computing (P comp) project. The props for this project were mainly circuit boards and electronic components.
Clay Stop Motion
In collaboration with Engineer 2011 creative committee
A promotional video made for our college engineering fest (http://www.nitk.ac.in/students-activities/engineer). This was made using clay models and covered each major event of the fest.
Flip Book Animation
In collaboration with Engineer 2010 creative committee
A promotional video made for our college engineering fest. This was made using 7 flip books and covered each major event of the fest.